Wednesday, June 2, 2010

A Talk With Getting Caught's Still Photographer...Akinyele Stephen!


The work of a Still Photographer in the filmmaking process is a necessity for the promotion and marketing of a film. It is also vital; in its less aesthetic makeup for continuity purposes, comparing the composition of a film's scene to its corresponding still photo. Having a career in this area of filmmaking may not have thought to be an option for the budding or even seasoned photographer; however, once the option is thoroughly investigated, the long-term benefits are gratifying once hurdled over the “traditional” and/or “commonplace” obstacles. Unfortunately, initial entry into the field seems to be based on the old adage, “It’s not what you know, it’s who you know” mentality. According to Dan Turkeritz, screenwriter and editor who shot stills for the feature film, “Sodom By The Sea” in an article posted by Dean on photopreneur.com/the –photographer-on-the-movie-set, “[I]n the movie industry, it’s all about who you know,” he warns. “Nothing means more than connections. You could have the top gear Canon or Nikon sells and have a portfolio that rivals Ansel Adams’, and still get beaten out for a job by a photographer who knows somebody.” This doesn’t seem to concern photographer & media entrepreneur, Akinyele Stephen who shot the stills for our indie feature, “Getting Caught”. His resume is quite impressive despite the challenges he faces and candidly shares a moment with Christopher B. about his beginnings as a photographer, why he loves parades, his work on Getting Caught and what’s he’s been up to in the world of film and photography.


Christopher B: You do a host of things in media, where does your specialty lie?
Akinyele Stephen: My specialty is in Still Photography. I also shoot video but my passion lies in Photography.

CB: What inspired you to become a photographer?
AS: By a need to capture the present and save it for future memories. I always felt that as a youth, my most treasured moments were not caught on film, which left me relying on faded memories and childhood stories.

CB: What is it about this medium that you find most interesting?
AS: It’s interesting to experience and see things the way others won’t and being able to capture that moment in the right time and space which sometimes can be very stressful yet very rewarding.

CB: How would you describe yourself as a photographer?
AS: I tell stories through my photos. I display my surroundings through the eye of a camera whether it’s video or photos. Due to my limited mobility, I use my previous experiences and zoom lens to predict the actions of my subjects, for example parades are some of my favorite events I cover annually.

CB: Why parades?
AS: It is interesting to experience the vast array of colors and all the different cultural displays. In order to capture these I must time my subject, amidst the constant activity of the participants and capture the image at the right frame and time (like a lion waiting on its prey). This calls for a lot of fast and constant readjustments to my telephoto lens to capture my desired image. I’ve done the “Dominican Day Parade 2007”,”Turtle at Coney Island" “Downtown Brooklyn", “Labor Day 2k7", Neoworld Productions etc.

CB: I've seen you in a still as an extra in a major motion picture; do you have any desire to be an actor?
AS: Acting is a hobby of mines so I’ll take it as it comes.

CB: What are some of the films you were in?
AS: I was in" Arrange", "I Am Legend", "Meet Dave", "The Bounty", " Undefeated", "Blizhny Boy: Final Fight", “Law & Order: Special Victims Unit", “Just Wright", “Going The Distance", “Step Up 3", " Notorious" ,The Soprano", “American Gangster" and many more. I also did a Bud Light beer commercial that aired during the Superbowl.

CB: Wow…those are some major projects! So, I take it that you have a passion for filmmaking also?
AS: Yes. Over the years I have made a few short documentaries online and have contributed to some independent films.

CB: Have you ever shot stills on video production sets?
AS: I did “behind the scenes” video photography for “Background", “The Daytime Emmy Awards", “The Answer" and movie premiers like “The Interpreter” among others.

CB: How did you get involved with "Getting Caught"?
AS: I worked with Jerry, the director on “Getting Caught” on previous projects, so I guess I ‘got caught’ LOL!

CB: While you were preparing to shoot on the set of "Getting Caught", what did you wanted to capture first?
AS: The essence of all activities taking place on set, the stars of the movie LOL! I saw a very professional crew and some very talented actors on set.

















CB: What other films have you worked on?
AS: I’ve done “Spanish Harlem”, “For Love Or Money”, “The Answer” and “Background” among others. I’ve done movie premiers and celebrity red carpet events. Additional details of my work can be seen on my website, www.tradingphotos.com or upon request.

CB: How do you approach shooting stills for films as opposed to working on your own work?
AS: When shooting stills for films I would first ask, what is expected of me, since satisfaction is of most importance. Whereas working on my own, I refer to my artistic point of view.

CB: What projects are you working on now?
AS: Currently, I am working on an untitled movie and the poster for it. I am also taking portfolio headshots at requested locations. I’m continuously taking photos for my web site Tradingphotos.com & Tradingphotos.net which will be revamped in the near future.

CB: What advice do you have for the novice photographer or would-be filmmaker?
AS: My advice would be to define your goal as a photographer. If it’s as a hobby or for fond memories then get a good camera and snap away. If it’s on a professional level then talk to professionals, read books and do research. And last but not least, go to school and learn the skills from the best. There are many different areas of photography, it’s not just point and shoot so good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment